President-elect Trump and presidential candidate promised again and again to do a great many things on the first day of his presidency.
You need look no further than his so-called Contract With the American Voter — his plan for the first hundred days of his presidency.
Now it appears that he is trying to back out of that promise, his contract with American voters. Now Trump wants to celebrate all weekend and start being president on Monday.
Trump, inaugurated on Friday at noon, tells the Times of London he's going to take the rest of that day and the weekend off. pic.twitter.com/Qae6rW1IMS
— Angus Johnston (@studentactivism) January 16, 2017
The hill covered Trumps change of heart more thoroughly here.
Sorry President-elect Trump, that doesn’t cut it. What if there is a national security crisis on Friday afternoon. Or what if Hillary’s infamous 2:00 a.m. phone call comes on the weekend after the inauguration.
In his plan Trump told us he would do the following 18 things on the first day of his term of office which is Friday, January 20:
Immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC:
- FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;
- SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce the federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);
- THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;
- FOURTH, a five year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
- FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government; and
- SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
Begin taking the following seven actions to protect American workers:
- FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205;
- SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership;
- THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator;
- FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately;
- FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars’ worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal;
- SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward; and
- SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America’s water and environmental infrastructure,
Take the following five actions to restore security and the constitutional rule of law:
- FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama;
- SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States;
- THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities;
- FOURTH, begin removing the more than two million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won’t take them back; and
- FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.
Trump promised action, a lot of it on January 20. I had hoped Trump would do the things he promised to do. Breaking 18 promises on day one will not be a very auspicious beginning to the Trump Presidency.
THIS IS A CONSERVATIVE VIEWPOINT