- From the Dumbest Criminals File: Drug dealer calls cops to report stolen stash.
- Why go to the supermarket if almost a half-ton of pork comes to you?
- Raccoon bites man… man “bites back” with a hammer.
- Who cut… er, stole the cheese?
Weird News is compiled with assistance from news aggregator Orbusmax.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 7/16: Trinity test, 1945; Apollo 11 launch, 1969 – see colonelflagg’s dedicated WC coverage on these here
- Monday, 7/17: Carrier invents air conditioner, 1902; Disneyland opens, 1955; Apollo-Soyuz linkup, 1975; B-2 first flight, 1989
- Tuesday, 7/18: 54th Mass. assaults Ft. Wagner, 1863; “Aviation Section” est’d. in Army Signal Corps, 1914; Intel founded, 1968
- Wednesday, 7/19: Great NYC Fire, 1845; Mitterrand reveals “Farewell Dossier” on USSR espionage to Reagan, 1981
- Thursday, 7/20: Battle of Peachtree Creek, 1864; “One Giant Leap for Mankind,” 1969; USS Constitution bicentennial celebrated with first sailing in over a century, 1997
- Friday, 7/21: 1st Bull Run, 1861; Hickock-Tutt gunfight first classic Western shootout, 1865; Senate ratifies NATO Treaty, 1949
- Saturday, 7/22: Roanoke Colony re-established, 1587; Wiley Post completes first solo round-the-world flight, 1933; Patton takes Palermo, 1943 (“What do they want me to do, give it BACK?!”)
Today’s Birthdays: Gunsmith Sam Colt, 1814; surgeon Charles H. Mayo, 1865; microwave oven inventor Percy Spencer, 1894
Holidays Around the World: It’s Martyrs’ Day in Burma and Liberation Day in Nicaragua.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Coonan Arms .357 Magnum 1911 pistol, S&W Performance Center M&P45 Shield .45 pistol or Taurus Air-Lite .38 revolver: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a BlackSword Scythe AR15, Honor Guard HG9SC 9mm pistol or Mossberg 930 shotgun package: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Taurus PT111 Millenium G2 9mm pistol or Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/9on87rt
- GrabAGun, for a Walther PPQ M2 9mm pistol: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision and Primary Arms giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Quote of the Day
This one made me bust a gut laughing, so I figured it was too good not to share.
“You know your girlfriend is evil when… you walk into the bathroom and realize she has opened a portal to Hell in the toilet.”
–Massad Ayoob (explanation here)
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Now that I’ve had my turn, the floor is all yours for your own juicy Watercooler gossip…
THIS IS A CONSERVATIVE VIEWPOINT