FBI Director Christopher Wray says the FBI completed Rob Porter's background investigation in July and submitted the results of a “follow-up inquiry" to the White House in November and administratively closed the file in January https://t.co/YAjkuUVpnu
— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) February 13, 2018
The White House is now a full week into the Rob Porter domestic abuse scandal. Much of the controversy revolves around when the White House knew about the allegations that Porter abused his two ex-wives, specifically since he was unable to receive a security clearance from the FBI a year into his joining the administration.
In today’s Senate Intelligence Committee hearing, FBI Director Christopher Wray seemed to indicate that the White House was potentially made aware of Porter’s past domestic abuse last summer. Pressed by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) on whether the FBI was aware of the allegations and if they informed the administration that the accusations could impact Porter’s security clearance, Wray noted that there was a limit on what he could say.
“I would say that the background investigation process involves a fairly elaborate set of standards, guidelines, protocols, agreements, et cetera, in place for 20-plus years,” Wray stated. “And I’m quite confident that in this particular instance the FBI followed the established protocols.”
After telling Wyden that he couldn’t get into the content of what was told to the White House on Porter, Wray did say the following about the background check of Porter:
“What I can tell you is that the FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March, and then a completed background investigation in late July that is soon thereafter we received requests for follow-up inquiry and we did the follow-up and provided that information in November. And then we administratively closed the file in January. And then earlier this month, we received some additional information and passed that on as well.”
As noted by NBC’s Peter Alexander, this counters a White House claim.
FBI Director Chris Wray says FBI closed the file on Rob Porter in January.
That contradicts with WH claim: “[Porter’s] background investigation was ongoing” when allegations became public February 6.
— Peter Alexander (@PeterAlexander) February 13, 2018
Watch the clip above, via CNN.
[image via screengrab]